- 6 Cups of Store Bought Fish Stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounces fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 (3-inch) piece lemon peel
- 1/16 teaspoon saffron
- 8 ounces fish fillets, such as black cod, wild halibut, skin and bones removed, cut into 1-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 Little Neck (or similar) Clams, at room temperature
- 8 ounces Calamari
- 8 ounces Mussels, cleaned and beards trimmed, at room temperature
- 8 Ounces Large Shrimp, Cleaned and the shell removed, at room temperature
- 1 Whole Wheat baguette, sliced
- Salt and Pepper
To make the stew
- Place 1/4 cup olive oil in a clean 6-quart pot and set over medium heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add fennel, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Sauté until semi-translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the fish stock, tomatoes, parsley, orange peel and saffron.
- Place over high heat, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, fish, and cayenne pepper.
- Boil rapidly, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the mussels and shrimp amd clams, cover, and let stand until the fish is cooked through and the mussels and clams open, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Discard any unopened mussels and clams.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray both sides of each slice of bread with Pam and top with salt and pepper
- Bake for 10 minutes or until brown.
- Top with and Basil Leaves and serve the croutons with the meal.